Best answer

2nd step in a working Zap (Google Sheets) doesn't get any data.

• 17 June 2020
  • 1 reply

Hey tribe, newbie here. Wrote to support with this issue, no answer, clock’s ticking. Problem:
I built my first Zap, trying to trigger two actions when a sale is made (hooked by webhook that works). First task works fine (send eMail from Gmail to new customer). Works like a charm. Task 2 (make a new row in that Google Sheet) doesn't although it says it does. Tested it many times, nothing comes. Strange thing, though: When I was messing around in the beginning yesterday, the very first Google Sheet test row WORKED - instantly. Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Could it be because the Gmail is another Google account than the Google Sheets-related account?

Thanks for your insights!
Best, Flint

icon

Best answer by Danvers 17 June 2020, 17:19

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Futurbo!

I can see that the Support Team have come back to you 🙂

In this case the issue was that the the Zap was creating rows, but at the bottom of the sheet. In case someone is having the same issue, here’s what the Support Team said:

It looks like your Zap is creating new rows in your sheet, but quite far down, past row #200. So I recommend deleting all of the mostly-empty rows that currently contain just order numbers. Your Zap will always be writing below these rows.

To continue assigning these order numbers, there are a few different approaches:

1. You could use Zapier's built-in "Storage" app, and the action to "Increment Number". Every time your Zap runs, this will add +1, so it each new row will be given an order number 1 higher than the last.

2. Otherwise, it's also possible to type in a spreadsheet formula into your Zap editor, and that formula will be used for every row that your Zap creates. But I haven't been able to find a Relative formula for incrementing numbers, so I use to Storage "Increment Number" method.