Question

Email parser not working properly for emails directly forwarded from Gmail

• 18 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi, I used to manually forward emails from gmail to Zapier email parser to parse name, date, etc., and it worked fine. Recently I set up forward within gmail so that I don’t need to manually forward emails anymore, but the emails received by email parser now contain links instead of plain text, and there is no data to parse. Does anyone know why this will happen?

TIA!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Felix001 

Good question.

Please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured for us to have more context, thanks.

Hi @Felix001 

Good question.

Please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured for us to have more context, thanks.

Ok. So when manually forwarded, the email received by email parser looks like this:

And it’s pretty straightforward to extract the information that I need. Here’s the output:

Since I started forwarding within Gmail, the emails received by email parser look like this:

And I’m not able to parse any information.

I think the problem might be that the format of the original email is not plain text. When I manually forward the emails, it somwhow also reformat them and avoid the current issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Felix001 

Take a look at the “original” email version to see if the full email template is shown.

These appears to be tracking links:

@Felix001

Take a look at the “original” email version to see if the full email template is shown.

These appears to be tracking links:

The original email looks exactly the same:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Felix001 

I’m not seeing the same language from the new email that is trying to be parsed as what shown in your original screenshots.

Perhaps the Gmail Filter rule is forwarding emails to the email parser that are not applicable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Felix001 just checking in here to make sure you saw Troy’s previous comment. Are you still running into issues sorting this out? Let us know how we can help!

Hey @Felix001 just checking in here to make sure you saw Troy’s previous comment. Are you still running into issues sorting this out? Let us know how we can help!

Yes, it seems that there’s no way to do it with email parser, unfortunately.