Best answer

Transform private Google Drive links into Dropbox File

• 9 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I am trying to display some picture in my Glide App. Those pictures are currently stored in Google Drive. Unfortunately, my Google Workspace prevents user from sharing links outside the business and would like to leave it that way.

Would there be a workflow I could create to save those pictures on Dropbox? I could then use the Dropbox link to feed my Glide App. It can be an other service than Dropbox, I dont mind. 

My last resort is to just save those pictures on Dropbox from the get go but that implies more manual work from my supervisor.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by jesse 29 April 2022, 01:38

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @djudes 

Try mapping the returned GDrive File object [look for a variable that says ‘File (exists but not show)’] (not URL).

Help article about using Files in Zaps: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/send-files-in-zaps

Thanks Troy!

It works… but just if I manually run the Zap. My trigger (G Drive) does not seem to work. No idea why, when I upload a file to that seelcted sub-folder, nothing happens. Every test works tho, which confuses me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@djudes 

GDrive triggers are NOT instant.

Polling trigger: the majority of triggers are polling triggers. With a polling trigger, Zapier will check for new data from your trigger every 1 to 15 minutes in order to start your Zap, depending on your pricing plan.

Check your Zap Runs: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Not all my files are triggering my new file in folder Zap.

The New File in Folder trigger has some nuance about what it will trigger on:

Google Files (e.g. Google Doc, Google Sheets etc)

• If a file was created within the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file was modified fewer than 4 days ago and moved to the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file was modified greater than 4 days ago and moved to the folder, the Zap won't trigger

Non-Google files (e.g. pdf or jpg):

• If a file is directly added to the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file is directly added to the folder but was modified/created greater than 4 days ago, the Zap won't trigger
  • If a file is moved to the folder (even if it was added to Google Drive in the last 4 days), the Zap won't trigger

Also, you can't trigger or act upon a folder shared with you, so files added to folders you don't own will not trigger the Zap. The connected account must be the owner.

Thank you. Looks like just renaming the file (on my computer before the upload) did not count as modifing it, hence it woud not trigger.

I will try and figure best way to “modify” the file so it triggers correctly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Coming in to summarize the issue here! To build on what Troy said, in order to send files from GDrive to Dropbox, you would need to use the GDrive File object [look for a variable that says ‘File (exists but not show)’] (not URL) in the “File” field of your Dropbox action. 

Also, yes, renaming the file on your computer before the upload will not be picked up by the “Updated File” trigger. In order for it to be picked up, the file will need to be modified from within your Google Drive account.