Best answer

Zapier Integration - Perform list with dummy data

• 15 July 2020
  • 1 reply

I’m developing a Zapier integration but I am having some issues with the “perform list” fallback polling endpoint. I understand that the idea is that the user can have data for following steps, without having to actually trigger the event in the app, but I was kind of expecting a different behavior, which I’m not sure if it is attainable.

What I had in mind was:

• The polling endpoint is requested when there is no actual data (no trigger), otherwise
  • simply get the actual data from the trigger.

Following that idea, I simply set the polling endpoint to return some dummy data, which should be enough for a user to set following steps (which is the point of the polling thing). However, it is indeed only returning the dummy data and not the actual one sent when it was triggered.

I had this idea because whenever I don’t set the endpoint in the trigger configuration, then Zapier will actually retrieve the real data that was sent when the Zap was triggered. 

It seems a bit weird to me that the polling endpoint is marked as “optional” but yet required in the validation process, and that it must return *real* data. What if there is no real data generated for that event? Then the user would still be required to go and trigger it manually in the app, which beats the purpose of the endpoint imo.

So, is there a way that I can use the polling endpoint only to retrieve dummy data to help the user in an initial setup, but then use real data if the Zap was triggered? 

Thanks in advance for any pointers !

icon

Best answer by steph.n 22 July 2020, 03:13

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Hari Seldon  - Thanks for reaching out to us! To better help with this developer question, we request you contact Zapier Support directly. It helps our team capture essential information from your account and Zap so that we may quickly investigate this issue. Please use this form here to contact our team: http://zpr.io/t4NNK