Question

Zap works perfectly except not delivering dynamic field data to server when testing action

• 21 January 2023
  • 4 replies

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Going crazy here because my Zap appears to be working perfectly, right up to the point where some of the data fields are not being delivered to the server.

I am using a webhook as the trigger, and test data is being delivered correctly to the trigger test.

My action captures that data, all fields are mapped properly, as you can see in the attached picture. But then when I test the action and look at the data delivered to the server, some of the fields are missing.

The missing data comes from dynamic fields, so I assume that's my problem, but the action shows all of the expected key/value fields properly. How can it display all of that properly, but then not deliver the data to the server?

Any help appreciated, but please don’t bother pointing me to the documentation for dynamic fields. I have read all that and still don’t see what’s missing since all of the tests work.

I will try to attach a few pictures here.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi @boulderobert 👋

From the screenshots and sample code, that certainly appears to be set up correctly - as @Troy Tessalone notes, as long as the field key is sent to your API in a format it expects, along with the value (for example field key c_1 with value Wine), that value would be expected to be recorded in the record in Work Glue. It does not matter if the value was statically entered or came from a dynamic dropdown. 

As a next step, I suggest you check out the monitoring tab: https://platform.zapier.com/docs/testing#monitoring in the Work Glue app in the Zapier Developer Platform, and locate the log for the request sent to create the Lead in your screenshot, at that timestamp. You may need to adjust the Chart Filter for the correct timeframe, then you can click on any data point there in order to see the full message with what was sent. This will confirm that what you see in the Zap History or the Test action screen, is what was actually sent to the Work Glue API.

Next, you’d want to confirm that the field key c_1 exists in Work Glue on a Lead record, or if that key should be something different for Work Glue to record its value on a Lead. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@boulderobert 

Perhaps this topic should be moved under “Developer Discussion”: https://community.zapier.com/developer-discussion-13

You may want to open a ticket with Zapier Dev Support: partners@zapier.com

In a Zap, as long as there are data points mapped for a field it shouldn’t matter if those are static values or dynamic values, but whether those are the expected values is a different question.

Thanks Troy. I am the guy that made the Zap action, so I have only myself to blame 😀

I have a bunch of other triggers and actions that work great and our users are really happy to be able to use Zapier to interact with our system. But, this is the first time I have to use dynamic fields so I assume that something’s wrong there.

I’m not much of a programmer, but I can usually figure things out by looking at examples. In this case I’m stumped.

I don’t have to modify the data in any way. Simply trying to capture all the dynamically generated key/value pairs. I assumed the sample code would do that basic thing, but maybe not. Here’s the code for my dynamic fields if you can explain what I’m missing.

const options = {
  url: 'https://my_url_is here',
  method: 'POST',
  headers: {
    'Accept': 'application/json',
    'X-API-KEY': my_api_key goes_here
  },
  params: {
  }
}

return z.request(options)
  .then((response) => {
    response.throwForStatus();
    const results = response.json;

return results;
  });

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@boulderobert 

Good question.

Please make sure to obscure PII data points.

From the screenshots, it’s unclear what Zap app action you are trying to use.

Try turning your Zap ON and testing, then check the Zap Runs history details to see the data IN/OUT for each step to help troubleshoot.

We’d need to see a full example with the returned unique record ID from testing the Zap step as well as the corresponding record in Work Glue that is missing the data points.

You can try asking Work Glue, who created and managed their Zap app integration, to help troubleshoot.

You can try opening a ticket with Zapier Support for further guidance: https://zapier.com/app/get-help