Question

OAuth2 Provider Choice

• 29 November 2022
  • 3 replies

I clicked through a bunch of Zapier Integrations to see how they handled Auth.

I tried slack and like how they prompt you to choose a third party Auth server.

How do I build this page where you choose Google or Facebook or Github etc? Any examples?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Sebastian Patten 

It depends on the API and the Authentication procedure used in the API. If you are trying to build a private integration, you need to check the API Documents of the app you are trying to connect to.

Unless you are building the API itself

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@iansco @nathan 👋🏽 curious if either of you have any examples you could share here? TIA!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey @Sebastian Patten ​!👋

I tried slack and like how they prompt you to choose a third party Auth server.

How do I build this page where you choose Google or Facebook or Github etc? Any examples?

Following on from @MohSwellam‘s reply above, it sounds like you’re building an API and would like to control access to it using a third-party authentication service provider such as Google, is that correct?

If so, advising on how to build authentication into an API is quite some way outside the scope of building an app integration on the Zapier Developer Platform. That being said, I’m certainly keen to help! 👍

If you’re looking to build Google “Sign In” authentication into an API then the Google Developers website “Overview” page on Authentication is the best place to get started: https://developers.google.com/identity/gsi/web/guides/overview

You’ll find details on how to display “Sign In With Google” prompts on webpages, details on how to implement verification in your API, along with client libraries for the most popular server-side programming languages.

The same advice applies for other third party authentication service providers like Facebook or GitHub; I’d recommend checking out their developer documentation if you want to use their services in your API.

Just to confirm, the Zapier Developer Platform makes it possible for you to build a Zapier app integration with an API that uses any of the supported authentication methods.

For example, most third-party authentication service providers (like Google) use the OAuth2 authentication method. So if you’re building a Zapier app integration for an API that already uses OAuth2, you can configure your Zapier app integration to use that authentication method by following the instructions here.

​I hope this helps!