Question

Developing a Zapier integration with a public API, how to skip authentication?

• 4 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi! I am using a public API. It shows ingredients of products by searching their UPC. 

I seem to have everything sorted out correctly other than the authentication part. To search by UPC on the website, it does not require a log in. How would I handle the authentication aspect of creating a zap with an API? 

Willing to provide any info needed to get this sorted out as it would help a LOT. Thanks!! (:

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

To skip authentication, you would need to convert your project to the CLI and not include the authentication file

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@outonarun  Where are you running into challenges? In general you can just not configure auth and the integration will work fine, (in either the UI or the CLI @GetUWired).  You’ll, I think see warnings about it - if you’re not planning on publishing your integration you can ignore those.  You might even consider implementing your workflow using the Webhooks by Zapier built in app if not auth is required.  

Be aware unless you are the owner of the API you won’t be able to publish the integration to the app directory, but you’ll be free to use and share it as a private integration. If this is your API, you should reach out to partners@zapier.com to discuss your product and plans for working with Zapier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks, @Zane ! I didn’t know it could be done from either the UI or the CLI.