Question

Timeout on SimpleScraper

• 7 February 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

I am using an integration of simpleScraper to Sheets - I am a premium member but I am always getting a timeout error. Is there some way around this that I could use?

• Adam

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @AdamZap 

Please clarify what Zap step is timing out and what app is being used in that Zap step.

Please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured along with the encountered error.

Help article: https://simplescraper.io/docs/scraping-data-into-zapier/

Hello Adam, does your error look like this?

“ExternalHTTPSConnectionPool(host='simplescraper.io', port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=39)”

If so, you’re like me! 

What I’ve found is that I can provoke this error by querying the scraper task while another one is in progress, or in rapid succession. I think adding a delay if you’re scraping multiple times in rapid succession may be a solution for you. 

Finally, this error is not within Zapier but seems to be within the Simple Scraper service itself or it’s integration into Zapier. 

Hope this sheds some light on your issue!
-TnT

Userlevel 1
Badge

how long a delay would you add?

You can use the Zapier delay. 

If you select 0.5 minutes it’ll wait 30 seconds. 
I find you need to wait at least as long as it takes the scraper to finish the current job.

I’d start with 30s and move up to 3mins. 

If you’re delaying more than 3minutes and still getting an error, it may be a bigger issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@AdamZap and @Elevated Terra 

Code steps have a 10-second timeout window, whereas Zap app created via the Developer Platform have a 30-second timeout window.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you!