Best answer

Display a full html response to a webhook using Catch Hook

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to display an html response to a GET call captured on Zapier’s side as Catch Hook with some more elegant user facing thing - just text would be fine but more than the stock response below? The ideal response would be “Thank you for registering for this event, xyz stuff”

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 1 May 2021, 17:16

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @bubba198 

Currently, custom responses for a Zap webhook request is not available.

It’s an open feature request, that others like myself have asked for too.

You can be achieve the desired result using front end scripting such as JavaScript, where the webhook request is sent in the background and the front end scripting handles the response and rendering back to the end user for a more pleasing user experience.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Troy Tessalone Thank you. That’s actually a great idea. I’m assuming that in order to do this in Zapier I’ll need to use “Code by Zapier” yes? Or is there an easier way to do it? Obviously I don’t want to exit the environment of Zapier and would like to keep it “in-house” so to speak since all of the other steps that I need to execute as part of this custom webhook live in Zapier and I’m comfortable doing it here…

Thank you

~B

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@bubba198

Unlikely Code by Zapier will work for the use case you’ve described unless you’re able to make the Code step communicate to the front end website page.

Think of Zaps as running in the background (server to server) between apps, basically systems talking to systems.

If you want real-time results on a webpage to a user, that’s where front end scripting comes into play to interact with back end systems and databases.

USER INTERACTION > FRONT END SCRIPTING > BACK END PROCESS > FRONT END SCRIPTING > RENDER RESULT

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hey @bubba198, hope you’re well, I just wanted to check in here!

Did the information provided by Troy help out, or is there anything else we can do to help?

Troy is correct in regards to the front-end rendering, Zapier is more like a delivery driver for data. The heavy lifting beyond transporting the data will typically be handled server side or client side via scripting. So we could transport the data where you need it, but rendering changes to your front-end would be handled outside of Zapier.