Best answer

How to create or update a date field without time in Notion using Zapier?

• 10 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello,

I can’t find a way to create or update a date field without the time in Notion.

I tried to send a “YYYY-MM-DD” date, but Zapier automatically format it to ISO Datetime (with time set to 00:00:00.000).

Data received by Notion is correctly understood, but it changes the display of the value in my table - even if my setting in Notion says not to include time.

For what I understand, the problem could be solved if Zapier was sending the date without any time.

I tried Zapier date formatter and other javascript solutions, all the time it gets converted back to an ISO Datetime at the request level.

Last solution would be to build the whole API request myself, but I thought it would help others if it was possible simply through Notion Integration ?

icon

Best answer by SamB 17 March 2022, 17:00

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Doic 

Article: https://developers.notion.com/reference/intro#json-conventions

Temporal values (dates and datetimes) are encoded in ISO 8601 strings.

Datetimes will include the time value (2020-08-12T02:12:33.231Z) while dates will include only the date (2020-08-12)

Issue might be based on your field type.

Userlevel 2

Thanks @Troy Tessalone 

From what I understood in Notion API Reference, it’s exactly what you said. It depends on the string we send to the API. If we send YYYY-MM-DD only, it will be stored without time value.

There is no difference between date and datetime types on the database side :-(

So I think it would be great to add (on Zapier) the option to send a date without time information...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Doic 

You can submit feedback and feature request via Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I just wanted to follow up here as noticed @Doic had reached out to our support team about this and were added to a bug report for this issue. It appears that when using Notion’s Create Database Item action, instead of using the date that’s supplied to that field, a default time is also added. There’s no ETA on when this would be resolved but we’ll send an email notification and will post an update here once that’s been sorted.

For anyone who finds this closed thread and wants to get added to the bug report please contact Support via the Get Help form to be added to the list of affected users. 

Hi, I believe this was fixed. When create a database item Zapier now has an ‘Include time with date fields?’. When selecting false no time is passed to Notion.

Hi there :-) I’m having a similar issue still. I’m trying to let Zapier draw a date (I set the time field on false, too, so it doesn’t have issues with that) from a Google Sheet formatted in the way you describe above and send it to a Notion Database. However, instead of the date I feed it, it creates the data base in Notion for the time the zap runs.

So let’s say in the Sheet it says “2024-10-22”, so it should create a data base on Oct. 22, 2024 – but it uses now, meaning April 16, to create the data base. I’m struggling to fix it. Any help or experiences you can share? Thanks!