Question

Adding Basic Authentication to Webhook

• 18 February 2021
  • 3 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

We have an app that triggers a POST to a Zapier Webhook (using a Zapier generated URL). It works great. The data for testing purposes writes out to a google sheet.  

is it possible to enable Basic Authentication on the above URL? If it’s supported, I can’t seem to find out where/how. 

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated. 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @zap_developer!

Do you mean that you’d like to add auth to the Post hook so that only authenticated hooks will trigger the Zap? Or are you looking to send an Auth to the hook to use in a later step of the Zap?

If it’s the first one, it’s not possible to add an auth to a Webhooks by Zapier trigger, but you could do this by developing your own Zapier integration. You can learn more about that on the Zapier Platform pages. If you run into any questions while developing an integration, there’s a section of the Community especially for those kinds of questions: Developer Discussion

I hope that helps!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @zap_developer --

Sorry I didn’t notice this sooner!

@Danvers ‘ second scenario, sending an Auth to the hook to use in a later step of the Zap, could theoretically be done, bit is highly inadvisable for security reasons.

Depending on your requirements, one possible solution would to be:

1. Encrypt all your user names with a secret key.
  2. Provide each user with their encrypted names 
  3. The webhook would have input parameters for user name and password (which would be the encrypted user name.)
  4. Your zap would verify the password is what was expected in order to proceed.

This does have some security limitations, but may be sufficient for your needs. I can provide an example if you or anyone else is interested.

Good luck and best wishes!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @zap_developer!

Were you able to find a solution for this? We’d love to know how you approached this and if you were able to find something that worked for you 🙂