Best answer

Updating Rows in a Google Sheet i've just created

• 29 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I have built a Zap that is triggered when a new row is entered on a specific Google Sheet. Based on the data on that row, it creates a new Google Sheet spreadsheet.

I am trying to figure out how to built a step within that same Zap, that will then create a row in the new spreadsheet and populate it with information I entered on the first spreadsheet.

So far, I can only find where I can do this if I specify a spreadsheet. What I would like to do is build it as a template, so it knows to do this in the new spreadsheet every time the trigger is activated in the original sheet.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

icon

Best answer by andywingrave 31 October 2020, 18:54

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Can you build the template spreadsheet in your Google Drive, then copy it by specifying it in the “Spreadsheet to Copy” part of the Create Worksheet Action? 

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your suggestion. That’s actually what I have built so far. The template spreadsheet has all the correct headers, but it does not have any data populating under those headers.

What i’m hoping to do, is populated the rows of that template spreadsheet with data that matches the original data from the new row in the original spreadsheet that triggered the action. So essentially, its a third step after the second step of creating the spreadsheet from template. 

I think that ability might be possible in the second step, i’m just not sure how. I’ve attached a screenshot of my Zap if that possibly helps illustrate

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello! It’s possible - Here’s two ways:

First Option

• Create as new Zap - Triggered when a new spreadsheet is created.
    • As part of the first zap, you would send the data to “Storage by Zapier” as a Key value pair, where the Key is the spreadsheet ID, and the values are the column values.
    • Then in the second zap, you would look up the storage value and enter the column details

Second Option

• As part of this zap - Use the sheet ID created in the second step as the ID to base a “Create new row” action in your next step
  • (See screenshot)

Userlevel 1

Thank you very much!