Best answer

Updating a the wrong row in Samrtsheet

• 25 February 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I have a zap that triggers when a new row is added in Smartsheet, it then uses a column in smartsheet to lookup data in Google sheet then return that data to update the rest of the row in Smartsheet.

The issue is when the data is returned to Smartsheet it is being updated in Row 3 instead of the row tht it should update which is row 1. The new rows in Smartsheet are always added to row one.

In creating the Zap it shows I am selecting it to return the data to row 1. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Can anyone help??

Thank you,

joe

icon

Best answer by Joe 26 February 2020, 22:25

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Joe

Can you show us a screenshot of how you have the update row step setup.

Userlevel 1

Here is where it returns the data back into Smartsheet. And all of the data is correct, just wrong row.

image.pngNow when I hit that drop down to select a row, there are row ID's attached to the row number, and I am not sure if that is an issue, because I do not want to update that row ID persay, I always want to update whatever row was added.

image.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Joe

In that Row ID dropdown, scroll to the bottom and select "Use custom value" - the in the new field that appears, map in the 'Row ID' from the prior Smartsheet step and it will then update the correct row.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the quick reply. I just did what you said and added the ROW ID of the previous Sartsheet step. And when the Zap ran it updated the row that I entered. Which ended up being the 7th row down.

Is there a way I can say return it to the same row that triggered the Zap? I feel like when I type in a specific row it will always update that specific row.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The thing is - each row has a specific ID, as and you mentioned, new rows get added at the top - and when they do, they get assigned a unique ID.

The zap isn't going to be able to know what the ID for that row is - and as you've discovered, you can't just select the row number - you have to input the row ID.

I'll open this up to others who might have better ideas. @Danvers perhaps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Joe, @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu is correct in that you would have to know the Row ID and be getting that from another step to be able to dynamically select the row for the action as there is no "Find Row" Search Action for Smartsheet at the moment.

That being said, if Smartsheet is your Trigger, so long as the data from that step includes a Row ID, you can map that into Step 3 using the "custom value" option and that should allow you to update the same row that triggered the Zap.

Let us know if that's helpful!

Userlevel 1

Thank you all for the advice.

I ended up making a work around. The trigger is still when a new row is added on Sheet A. The zap then takes a column and does a look up on google sheet and grabs all the other info I need. But instead of returning it to the same sheet to update the Original Row (which was giving me the issue), I created a new sheet Sheet B and chose the Zap to Add a New Row, which I have all of the info populate into that sheet.

A little more messy, but it seems to work. Does make me nervous having to maintain 2 sheets, but in theory it should work fine.

Thanks again for all the help,

Joe