Best answer

Trello > google sheet

• 17 December 2019
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi All,

Im trying to configure a zap that is trigger when a member is added to a specific card. That members details are then added to a google sheet row.

Zap tests are passing fine and adding to the google sheet correctly. However, when actually adding one the selected members to the specific trello card nothing is being added to the google sheet.

Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 15.49.51.pngScreenshot 2019-12-17 at 15.50.04.pngScreenshot 2019-12-17 at 15.50.22.png

icon

Best answer by PaulKortman 18 December 2019, 15:39

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @jay9044

If you check your "History" tab - are you seeing any entries for this zap at all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yeah I'm intrigued if something in the filter step is off. @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu is correct in asking for information from your task history for this zap, as that will tell us if the trigger is working and or if there is an issue with the filter or the action step.

Userlevel 1

Hey @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu @PaulKortman

I have checked the history tab, first time me knowing about this option, so thanks!

The history shows only two entries, both failed.

I tried more times than twice to trigger this zap. (Adding members to the card that triggers it)

Does the two entries mean this zap has only actually ever been triggered twice?

thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yep @jay9044 - that means the zap has only triggered twice - the timestamp should give you some context into when that happened. Does it tie up with when you were expecting it to?

Next, click one of the step entries. You’ll see a step by step history of the zap.

Which step failed?

What was the error message?

Userlevel 1

It was failing due to the filter. However, on the filter my options are changing before I could select members username now I can only select card members username.

Userlevel 1

Im pretty confident its the filter, but how do I filter the added member to the card? @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu

Userlevel 1

Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 21.47.31.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Change the filter type to "Contains"

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@jay9044 Like Andrew said change the filter type to "Contains" but another concerning thing is why is it not triggering more often?

When I revisit the screenshot you included of the trigger it's only firing for cards that appear on the "Query TO DO" List within the "Data Queries/Projects (The Quail)" Trello board... so if you are adding members to cards within that list then it should trigger, but if you are

• adding members to cards on other lists OR
  • adding members to cards on other boards OR
  • adding members to a card and then dragging/moving that card to the "Query TO DO" list

then it will not trigger. This Trigger step you have will ONLY trigger when a member has been added to a card within that specific list on that specific board.

Is that what you intended and is that where/how you've been testing it (by adding members to trello cards in that list on that board)?

Userlevel 1

I will change to contains, test and let you know. @PaulKortman this is also my query, I had added and removed members from that specific card many times to no avail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@jay9044 I'm not sure how the Trello/Zapier integration works, but I know of a couple other integrations where Zapier has a deduplicating filter in place, so when you add member xyz to the card it will trigger the zap, then if the member is later removed from the card and then later member xyz is added to the card again (if the deduplicating filter exists) Zapier will not fire since it sees it as a duplicate. -- This is just a possibility, I'm not sure if the Trello integration works like this, but might be a way to explain why your zap hasn't fired multiple times in your testing.

The other possibility is that Zapier only checks for new members every 5-10 minutes etc, so if you add a member and then remove them before the 10 minutes are up when Zapier polls Trello for new members on that card the member has already been removed by you. -- again some assumptions here, just something else to check for in testing.

One way to test the zap is to create a new card within that list and add members to that card to see if your zap does indeed trigger (and if your filter is working correctly this time)