Best answer

Super basic question on adding a contact to Salesforce and a SF campaign

• 20 February 2020
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2

This seems so basic - but I can't seem to figure it out. I have a Zap that takes registration information from a webinar tool called Livestorm and pushes it to Salesforce.com. It does this in two steps. First, it adds the registrant as a Lead - this seems very straightforward.

The second step I have is adding that same person to a Salesforce Campaign I've setup to track the webinar registrants. I have no trouble selecting the SF campaign, but then the Zap asks for a Contact. What I want it to do is use the information from the prior step (added as a Lead) mentioned above. But I'm only given the option to select a specific lead from Salesforce or initiate a Search step.

This seems so basic - I just want to pipe the information from the prior to the next step - but maybe I'm just not understanding it correctly.

The last step I want to do - and I'm assuming this should be a separate Zap, is update the SF Campaign status based on whether they attended the webinar. But again, I'm not clear how to handle this Contact step.

Any help greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by jesse 21 February 2020, 18:09

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @droskill

So, in that Contact selection dropdown, if you scroll down you'll see this option - "Use Custom Value"

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 17.07.47.png

Select that and a new field will appear - into there you need to supply the "Contact ID" which you'll find from the output data of the previous step.

Let us know if you get stuck!

Userlevel 2

That worked - boy is that hidden!

Now it wants a Custom Contact ID - I selected the ID from the Contact record entered in the earlier step and I get the following error message:

We had trouble sending your test through.

Could not add contact to campaign: Contact ID: id value of incorrect type: 00Q3m00000uE67xEAC

Any idea what the correct type would be?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@droskill

We're getting there!

Ok, could you show a screengrab of how you have that step setup and the custom value mapped.

Thanks!

Userlevel 2

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 11.29.10 AM.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@droskill

Are there any other ID fields available from the step 2 output?

Userlevel 2

The available fields are:

• First name
  • Last name
  • Company
  • Email address

Not sure what else I could use here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@droskill

Then you should have it right.

What I'm going to do is flag this for the Zapier Community Team to look at. They might have more insight on this, or can escalate to the support team if needed.

Sit tight, and someone will be in touch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for roping us in @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu! @droskill would you mind sending a screenshot of your "Create Record" action template so we can view your setup? From there, we should be able to tell if this needs to be escalated to our support team or not. Let us know!

Userlevel 2

The Create Record template is quite long - is there a specific part you're looking for?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @droskill after further investigation, it looks like the record you're creating is a "Lead" but your action is to add a "Contact" to the campaign in Salesforce. Lead IDs and Contact IDs are different, which is likely why you're running into these issues.

If you switch your action to create a "Contact" instead of a "Lead" OR switch your last action to "Add lead to campaign" instead of "Add contact to campaign" then you should be good to go here.

Let us know how you make out and if you run into any other issues!

Userlevel 2

That was it - thank you guys!!!