Question

Multiple Replace Fields in Formatter?

• 2 December 2020
  • 7 replies

Hey all, 

*Video explainer link*

My Zap Link 

Our CRM does not recognize string values but rather numeric value for certain questions and so we need to find/replace these strings with numeric values. 

Here is an example; when the form response says “Purchase” we need the formatter to send “348” to our CRM. 

Purchase = 348
Refinance = 349

Here’s the problem I’m having:

• It doesn’t appear I can add multiple replace actions inside of formatter without adding multiple formatters
  • I don’t see that formatter is recognizing the other potential answers of a question. 
    • Ex. Question 1 might have three questions, but zapier is only recognizing 1/3 possible answers and allowing me replace 

If anyone could help me out, it’d clear a huge project I’m working on right now. 

Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

[ADVANCED] Try a Code action step: https://zapier.com/apps/code/help

[ADVANCED] Try a Code action step: https://zapier.com/apps/code/help

Wow - that seems like overkill. Is that what I would need to do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Depends on how many different conditions you need to check for.

A Code step can replace many individual Steps and do much more advanced data manipulation.

Think of a Code step as a customized and specialized tool to use for unique use cases.

Depends on how many different conditions you need to check for.

A Code step can replace many individual Steps and do much more advanced data manipulation.

Think of a Code step as a customized and specialized tool to use for unique use cases.

Were you able to watch the video I shared?

*Video explainer link*

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try a Formatter Lookup Table: https://zapier.com/help/doc/how-use-formatter-functions#using-the-lookup-table

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Jfifelski Hey there! Troy’s right here that a lookup table might be your best bet. Did you manage to try this out. Let us know if that solved your problem! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Jfifelski!

Without jumping into Code, here’s how you can tackle this with the Formatter (scroll down to Alternate Method if you want to save 1 task and use Google Sheets instead). 

You only need one Formatter step per Typeform question, and not per possible answer:

Then you’ll map each of those outputs into their respective fields for your CRM.

Alternate Method

If you don’t want to mess with the Formatter and would like to do everything in one step, you could use something like Google Sheets and set it up like this:

Then in your Zap you can do something like this:

Then in the row that is returned you’ll have one column per value that you need (similar to what the Split Text step above gives you):

Hope that helps to give you some ideas of how to get things done without using Code steps (spoken by someone who doesn’t know code well enough to default to it).