Best answer

How to use asana custom fields when creating a task?

• 24 September 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

We've built a zap that is triggering an Asana task to get created (this is working as expected). We want to be able to update some of our custom fields though even when we click on "Refresh Fields" isn't not showing the fields. Does anyone know how to get custom fields to appear when triggering a new task to get created in the Zapier builder?

It says in this documentation that it should be possible: https://zapier.com/blog/updates/856/asana-custom-fields-support

icon

Best answer by alex 27 September 2019, 03:11

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5

Hi @ZacharyStevens, this might worth mentioning to Zapier Support. In my experience, if a "Refresh Fields" button isn't actually refreshing, it could be because of an issue with the integration itself.

I know in one instance (not involving Asana), I found that there was a "pagination" problem where the API connection only returned the first n fields. The folks at Zapier support were able to track down the issue and get it resolved.

I can't be certain if what you're experiencing is related or not, but it's probably worth a shot!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @ZacharyStevens! This is a popular feature request we have open for Asana so I've added your vote to have this supported and we'll update this thread should it become available. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @ZacharyStevens - very familiar with the Asana Zapier connector and the bugs it has along with it.

When you refresh the fields and they don't come up, do you by chance have 2 projects listed? Yes, the integration let's you select multiple projects, but when you do, it gets confused as to what custom fields to show, so it doesn't show any.

Another area where we ran I to this was when you're using a custom variable as the project ID. It seems Zapier doesn't recognize the custom ID written even if it's a valid Asana Project ID unless selected specifically from the drop-down.

We use Webhook functionality to connect to Asana all the time now though because of some of these issues. Also, searching for an Asana Task based on custom field value (support ticket 😵 for example, is something we use all the time. You need to use a custom Webhook to accomplish this type of thing though, the Asana Zapier connector is a bit buggy/limited in some of these unique use-cases.

Cheers!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I've used Asana within Zapier quite a bit and have run into similar issues. I find the custom field value that @alex mentioned is often the culprit. You have to actually specify the project in the dropdown.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I’m having the same issue when connecting with Jotform and I don’t understand the webhook reference. Anyone have a guide on how to make this work? cc @alex @paulminors