Best answer

How to add slides to an existing Google Slides presentation from rows in Google Sheets

• 8 September 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I’m trying to solve a very similar use case than described in this post: https://community.zapier.com/topic/show?tid=1729&fid=3 except I’m planning to use a GSheet instead of Airtable

The use case is that I would like to add some slides defined in a template to an existing presentation everytime a new row is added in a google Sheet.

I’m using the Google Sheet to collect answers to some questions from an other system, and I don’t know in advance how many answers I’m going to get. So I can’t really know in advance how many rows I will get.

Right now I can create a new presentation for each row, and manually copy/paste each presentation into another one to build my big collection of all answers, but it’s very time consuming and clearly not ideal.

Has anyone already tried and managed to achieve the same thing? 

Google sheet I’m using:

Google sheet populated with new rows to collect answers from a form

Google slide created from it:

Each row fills this template in a new presentation. I’d like the new slides to be added to an existing presentation instead of creating a separate new one​​​​​

The Zap I’m using:

Current state of the zap. It triggers on a new row and inputs the values of the row in the dedicated slides of the template I’m using

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 9 September 2020, 02:02

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Vital!

That feature is not available at the moment (and the last time we checked, it wasn't possible, given the Google Slides API). It's something other users have asked for, so for tracking purposes (and in case it ever does become possible) I've gone ahead and added your vote for this feature request. 

Should this become available and get added to the Google Slides integration, we'll be sure to let you know. 

Userlevel 1

Hi There , I think I’m tying to achieve a similar process 

I have a Google Sheet with 200 + rows that will be updated every day with a short line of single row text with about 20 words 

I’m trying to create a new slide within a presentation each time a row is updated in Google sheets

This text I would like to be added to an existing slide template within Google Slides 

Basically copying the text onto the same template each time to create a new slide with different text 

Is this possible ?

It seems basic enough function 

Thanks , 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Paul Davies ,

Thanks for reaching out! If I’m understanding correctly, this would fall into the same feature request Nick mentioned as your workflow would require an action to add a slide to a presentation. 

I’ve added you to this open request so that you will be notified if and when there is an update!

Userlevel 1

Hi @Liz_Roberts , Thanks for quick follow up 

I’ve managed to get it to work part way , and so far I've got it to 

1- Pulls data from row in google sheet 

2- Adds text to Template ( I added {{name}} to template and it pulled the text from row into that field

It does this every time I add a new row 

But

• it’s - keeping same file name ( which is not ideal , but I can put up with )
  • It’s - creating the same text each time , its not pulling the new text from new row 

Ideally it would let me add the new image from slide into a new folder withing Google Drive 

It only allows for a text file or .xls type file to be saved 

Any thoughts ?

I feel like I’m close and its probably just my errors why its not working 

Cheers , Paul

Userlevel 1

Hey! Is this feature available now?

No idea if this may help https://developers.google.com/apps-script/reference/slides

But on this link, there are methods such as:

appendSlide() Slide Appends a slide to the end of the presentation using the PredefinedLayout.BLANK predefined layout based on the current master.
appendSlide(layout) Slide Appends a slide to the end of the presentation using the specified layout based on the current master.
appendSlide(predefinedLayout) Slide Appends a slide to the end of the presentation using the specified predefined layout based on the current master.
appendSlide(slide) Slide Appends a copy of the provided Slide to the end of the presentation.
appendSlide(slide, linkingMode) Slide Appends a copy of the provided Slide from the source presentation to the end of the current presentation, and sets the slide link as specified by the SlideLinkingMode.

I am truly in need for this feature to be added urgently… may I be repplied if this can be added? And if so, when?

Thanks for the help :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @toniherold!

Thanks for sharing the link to those endpoints, I’ve passed them on to the team that handles the development of the Google Slides app. 

We don’t have an update on when or if this feature will be added to the Google Slides integration but I’ve added you as an interested user so you’ll get an email if it does happen 🙂