Best answer

Google Sheet - Continue if lookup field does not match

• 7 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

I have a zap that runs through all the rows of a google sheet lookup a row’s specific column ‘s content, and if there is a match, it does a bunch of steps (sends email, etc ...), update the row’s column with a new value and then loops back to the top with a webhook.  It’s a fairly standard zap. 

I’d like to run the same action but with a look up value that does not match, instead of match, a specific column in that row, do a bunch of steps, and then updates that row’s column with a new value.

It will allow to do a series of action based on each row of a google sheet without knowing the value of the lookup column.

Thanks for the help!

Alex

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 8 January 2021, 01:01

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try Paths: https://zapier.com/apps/paths/integrations

Set the Filter criteria for each Path to be Row ID Exists or Row ID Does Not Exist.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you, I made it work with a combination of nested paths and one other zap.  Without all of that it just loops back on itself. Having a “not match” lookup features would drastically simplify the process to one zap.  I’ll send a feature request.

Alex

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

FYI: Zapier just started rolling out this field in find/search/lookup Zap steps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

yes, but it doesn’t work for my purpose because the step does not return the row ID number that didn’t match, it just returns a single “fail”, thus I cannot have other steps based on the data from that specific row.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

If your nested path fails feel free to tag us and we write you some custom code!

Thank you, I made it work with a combination of nested paths and one other zap.  Without all of that it just loops back on itself. Having a “not match” lookup features would drastically simplify the process to one zap.  I’ll send a feature request.

Alex

Hi @Alex834 ,

Can you share how did the condition of the lookup field does not match? Cause I have the same use case but I need to look up the whole “Phone” column if the “Phone” lookup does not match then do Post Webhook API. 

I have struggled on this few hours, If you can share the condition then is a big help for me.

Many thanks,

Zhen

Userlevel 1
Badge

In the end I didn’t, I used another column in google sheets as a yes/no flag so I know if a row had been updated already. Every time a row is processed it sets the flag to yes, so it doesn’t process it again. I reset all the flags to “no” with another zap once the entire sheet has been processed. It’s a bit clumsy but it works for my specific purpose.

Alex