Best answer

"Email: is already taken" (Thrivecart + Zapier + Kajabi)

• 26 June 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey guys,

I ran into an issue this morning:

Someone purchased one my courses this morning (through ThriveCart), but because they already had an account in Kajabi - they had already purchased another one of my courses in the past (and that their email already existed in the system), the "ZAP" didn't go through, so it didn't sign them up automatically.

Any ideas what we could do to fix this for future purchases? We have many repeat customers who purchase different courses of ours.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by PaulKortman 30 June 2020, 03:28

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

If anyone is searching for this, I’ve found a workaround, as you can’t update the user’s external_user_id via Zapier.

Instead of using the ‘Grant Offer’ action within the Zap, use the ‘Submit A Form’ action instead.

Then, within Kajabi, create a new form (be sure to check ‘single opt-in’, so they don’t get an email) and use the in-built automations (below the form setup) to grant an offer to anyone that submits the form.

This way, the external_user_id is never required, but the offer is still granted.

:-)

I tried doing as suggested and using an external user ID instead of the email, but got a different error instead: “The app returned "is invalid".” Has someone experienced this issue or am I missing something, please? 

Userlevel 1

Will do! Thanks for the response @AlexN 

Userlevel 1

@AlexN Just curious - did making the email address the External User ID resolve the issue for you? I did the same a few days ago, and I am still experiencing the email already taken error.

Yes, it worked. Haven’t had that issue since...make sure your external ID doesn’t have the TC_ before the email.

Userlevel 1

@AlexN Just curious - did making the email address the External User ID resolve the issue for you? I did the same a few days ago, and I am still experiencing the email already taken error.

Hi @PaulKortman - thanks for your feedback!

@AlexN - can you share with me your Kajabi/Zap blueprint to enable this hack?

Userlevel 1

Hey guys, yea, that’s exactly what I ended up doing a few days ago. I had Kajabi support make everyone’s External User ID their email address, and have it set up the same way in my Zap. That way, if existing members purchase another product of mine, I don’t get stung with that error message. Works well now! Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Javier.ap the reason this didn’t work for you is because the user already exists in your Kajabi account and their External User ID is different than their email address. (Perhaps it’s their Thrivecart User ID?)  So you’ll need to figure out what that user’s External_User_ID is and create the offer for that user by their external_user_id not by their email address. 

@AlexN does that help you as well? Please let us know if you found a solution or not.

Hi Alex,

I’m having the same trouble with WooCommerce+Kajabi. Apparently, there is a fix but it’s not working for me either --> https://zapier.com/help/doc/common-problems-kajabi-zapier

Proposed Fix:

This can be avoided by setting the user's email address as the external_user_id so it's the same each time.