Best answer

Constant held tasks issue - app generating too many events

• 30 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I am currently on the Starter plan with Zapier, with 2 active Zaps.  Both of these link to Klaviyo, an email marketing tool.

The Klaviyo app provides one trigger event - “New Event” for everything it does.

I am filtering for one event in particular (someone signing up to a newsletter), everything else is disregarded.  The problem is it seems that Klaviyo fires a LOT of events, for pretty much everything that someone is doing on our website.  This results in hundreds of Tasks accumulating for each 15 minute cycle.

I enabled this Zap on our of our more popular websites, and woke up this morning to an email from Zapier saying that it was holding 1100 Tasks and it needed manual intervention.  I was unable to replay all of these tasks, or even more than a page worth of them (10-20), I would just stuck in a cycle of Zapier telling me that X tasks had been held, and if I tried to replay all of them it would just say they were throttled.

To be clear none of these 1100 Tasks would have gone past the Filter at the second step of the Zap, as we haven’t publicised the page that allows people to sign up for the specific newsletter.  These 1100 Tasks were events like someone looking at a product on the website, adding something to their cart, checking out, etc.

Since there is no option to restrain the type of event that comes from Klaviyo (as said, there is only “New Event” available as the trigger), how can I keep this Zap functional without having to constantly manually replay the tasks?

Right now I am getting an email every 10 minutes or so telling me that Zapier needs me to release 179 tasks...

Thanks,

Darren

icon

Best answer by PaulKortman 30 June 2020, 20:24

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 1

Can anyone help? 

If an app produces too many events (and therefore Tasks), are you just screwed if you don’t have a Pro+ plan?  I only have 2 Zaps, and actual legitimate Tasks are 179 / 1000.  I guess the 15 minute update interval isn’t helping matters...

Failing that, can I just turn off the auto-hold feature?  I’m getting emails throughout the day telling me that Zapier is holding ~200 Tasks, and I have to manually go in and replay them, and ALL of them end up filtered!

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@DazOG You have a couple of options, but my guess is ultimately only one will actually work. 

Option 1. Upgrade your account to the Pro or Team level plan. If the tasks are still being held ask Zapier support to increase the flood protection threshold for that zap to 200/minute. 

Option 2. Skip the upgrade and just ask support to increase the flood protection threshold for that zap. 

Either way, you’ll need to have Zapier Support increase the flood protection threshold. When you do just explain that you have a filter in place that will filter out 90%+ of the triggers. That should help them to be able to justify increasing the flood protection threshold. 

I’ve flagged this post for the support team, but you will also need to fill out a support ticket here https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 1

Thanks very much.

In the first instance I’d like to just go with option 2.  I can make a business case to move to the Pro plan, once we start using it more (which we will be), but I can’t exactly sell the need to spend an additional $485 to make one pretty simple Zap work.

As said - in all other respects we’re way under the limits for even the Starter plan, with 2 Zaps and - as I write this - 191/1000 Tasks run, with 3 days left until reset.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Let us know how it goes @DazOG !

Userlevel 1

Sorry for delayed reply, I’m in the UK :)

I filled out a ticket as you suggested and a member of the Zapier support team upped the flood threshold on that specific Zap so that I shouldn’t have a problem now.

Thanks for your help!