Best answer

Adding GST/PST to Square transactions

• 18 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I’m setting up a zap to import transactions from Square into Wave Accounting. Does anyone know how to set up the zap so that GST and PST are imported from the transaction?

Thanks,

Shayla

icon

Best answer by Danvers 30 June 2020, 17:25

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Shayla.water!

If you want to calculate the amount of tax, you can use the Spreadsheet-style formula option in the Formatter app. That allows you to write a formula that will calculate the tax based on the sale amount. 

For example: 

You can then use the output of the formula step as the amount of tax. 

The tricky part here is that the Sales tax fields only allow for one type of tax to be added, so if you need both GST and PST in the same record you would need to combine them into one amount. 

Thank you @Danvers ! 

This may be a good workaround for now, until Zapier adds more tax integration options.

I appreciate your help :)

Hi Steph,

What I’d like to do is have the GST and PST on each transaction calculated and recorded automatically. For example, a transaction comes through in Square for $388.50 which includes GST of $17.34 and PST of $24.28. From what I can see, there is no way to add these taxes to the zap so that they are calculated and ported over automatically. There is the option of adding a “Sales Tax Abbreviation” and “Sales Tax Amount” (see snip), but I don’t think this will work because the taxes are not the same amount for every transaction - they are 5% (GST) and 7% (PST) of each transaction. The way it is set up right now, this transaction is ported over from Square into Wave for the total amount of $388.50 but no taxes are recorded. This means I have to review each transaction in Wave and add the taxes manually (see snip). What I’m wondering is if there is a way to set up the zap so that the GST and PST are calculated and recorded automatically for each transaction that gets ported over from Square into Wave.

Thanks for your help!

Shayla

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @Shayla.water - Thanks for writing into us! If I’m understanding you correctly, you wish to import the timestamp in your Square trigger into your Wave Accounting action. I’m seeing that our Zap can pull a timestamp of when a New Transaction triggers, but if you could clarify with me what Square trigger you are trying this from? If you have any screenshots of your Zap, please share it so we can firm up our answer.