Best answer

Add Users to Slack Channel after it's been created using Zapier.

• 22 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello, 

So I have asked the first question and was assisted.

The general idea is someone submits a Google Form and it creates a Slack Channel automatically. 

The next step is to make sure users are added to the channel automatically to avoid manually touching it. The issue I run into is you can only select created channels so how would Zapier know to add users to the recently created channel? 

Thanks in advance. 

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 25 January 2021, 19:36

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ADMatthews 

What is the relationship of new members to Channel?

Are they all going to the same Channel?

There is this Slack action available:

Userlevel 1

Hi @ADMatthews 

What is the relationship of new members to Channel?

Are they all going to the same Channel?

There is this Slack action available:

Thank you Troy for the response. 

Their relation is they’re all technician’s for the account. When the new channel is created the users will be invited to the channel. 

The issue is when I want to select which channel to add users to the new is technically not created yet. 

Basic Flow: 

Sales Rep creates Sales Order  > Response dumps into GSheet > Zapier creates a Slack channel based on “Clients Name” from the GSheet > Technical team is added to the newly created group

Is there a way to select “Newest Group Created” or “Last Group Created” function when choosing which group to add users to? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ADMatthews 

Would this work as the Zap steps?

1. Trigger: GSheets - New Row
  2. Action: Slack - Create Channel
  3. Action: Slack - Invite User to Channel
Userlevel 1

@ADMatthews

Would this work as the Zap steps?

1. Trigger: GSheets - New Row
  2. Action: Slack - Create Channel
  3. Action: Slack - Invite User to Channel

In theory yes but Zapier doesn’t understand there’s a new channel yet, therefore I can’t select it in the list in step 3. 

Is there a way to make a new zap and set a delay in accordance with the first zap? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ADMatthews You can map the ID of the Channel created from Step 2 to Step 3, thus making the Zap dynamic.

Check out this help article about using the ‘Custom’ option when selecting a Slack Channel to invite Users to in Step 3: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @ADMatthews,

You can do this is 2 steps as well, if you’re not able to map the ID of the channel into step 3.

Zap 1: New Google Sheet Row » Create new slack channel

Zap 2: New Slack channel » Invite users to channel

The second zap will be triggered only when there’s a new channel in slack. If you create different channels for different group of users, you can code name the channels and use a filter and Path as well to invite users to channel based on the name of the channel.